The Central Medical Services Society a Central Procurement Agency (CPA) will be an organization similar to the TNMSC at the National level but with improved features for Central procurement. The main objectives of the CPA will be:
- To procure health sector goods efficiently.
- To put in place transparent and competitive systems for procurement so that goods are procured at competitive rates.
- To put in place foolproof systems for quality control so that the user gets quality products; quality will be the main driver restricting tender participation to firms of high standard.
- To set up and manage an efficient supply chain.
- To put in place an MIS to prevent stock outs and excess inventory and also to reduce wastage, if not eliminate it.
- To standardize specifications, tender procedure, documents, billing and payment systems.
- To interact with the Ministry and State governments on requirement of health sector goods, their standardization and quality control.
- To assist the EPW in its efforts on States procurement reforms.
- To give technical and managerial assistance to States on procurement and logistics.
- To deal with procurement and distribution with the service provider and the user in view and improve the system based on their feedback.
- To function with service as the prime motive rather than profit.
- To promote rational use of drugs.
In short, the CPA will take full responsibility for procurement and distribution with the sole purpose of serving the user.